elizabeth-line-stations:-twyford-in-berkshire

Elizabeth Line stations: Twyford in Berkshire

The Elizabeth Line, also known as Crossrail, is a new railway line that connects London’s west and east by passing through the city centre. In fact, it extends well beyond the boundaries of Greater London, passing through counties such as Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, and Essex. A trip on the Elizabeth Line takes you to different landscapes; in this series, we look at what you can see or do at each station.

Twyford is a Berkshire village of approximately 7,000 people. It can be found alongside the Loddon River as it enters the meadows that lead to the Thames between Reading and Maidenhead.

Although the A4 now heads north of Twyford, it is located at the junction with the south-north road from Wokingham to Henley-on-Thames.

Photo by Rosalind Mitchell, used with permission under the Creative Commons License.

Twyfords exist, but the one on the Elizabeth Line is from Berkshire.

The town’s name is derived from Old English and means “two fords.”

Twyford used to have two fords on Old Bath Road, west of town. Both are now linked.

The River Loddon splits into two separate waterways at Twyford, giving rise to the city’s name: double ford. It’s no surprise that the area has had several mills due to its watery location. In 1024, the city’s first mill was built. There was a silk mill here until 1845, and another until 1976, when it was destroyed by fire. The modern mill lacks the old mill’s charm, but it continues the town’s milling tradition.

William Penn, the famous seventeenth-century Quaker and founder of Pennsylvania, spent his final years at Ruscombe Fields, a property near Twyford, and is commemorated by a residential street called Pennfields. There isn’t much else to do in this commuter town.

Twyford was primarily an agricultural settlement until the railway arrived in 1838, connecting it to the main line to the west and later becoming a junction for the Henley Branch Line.

The greatest expansion, however, has occurred since World War II, particularly in the last 52 years, with the construction of several estates in the country’s north and south.

 265 total views,  6 views today

Leave a Reply

Scroll to Top