In the 1700s, this location housed a vineyard that was responsible for the production of a drinkable wine. In the beginning, it was a centre for shows (as it was fashionable in the latter half of the 1800s), where battles, such as gladiator fights, were staged but obviously not actually fought.
It was first opened for business in 1884 under the name National Agricultural Hall and was constructed on a portion of the land that formerly belonged to the renowned Vineyard Nursery of Lee and Kennedy. In 1886, when he put on his first circus at the Paris Hippodrome, which featured 400 animals, a chariot race, and a deer hunt, he changed his name to Olympia. At that time, the circus was his first venture into the entertainment industry. It was the largest building made of glass and iron in the UK.
After that, circuses became a consistent part of the fair, and Bertram Mills’ was one of the most popular attractions there. Imre Kiralfy was the mastermind behind the conception of the first of a string of spectacular shows that merged educational content with exciting performances. The Great Hall underwent some expansion work in the year 1895.
After this trend died out, Olympia in Kensington was turned into gardens for a few decades before it started hosting the world’s first automobile shows at the beginning of the year 1900. It is said that the future King Edward VII conducted some of his illicit love affairs in a section of the centre that he later named after himself.
The International Horse Show was held for the first time in 1907, and the first Motor Show was held in 1905.
The present-day exhibition centre was constructed in the year 1922. And in 1937, they constructed the city of London’s first multi-level parking garage.
in reference to the Kensington Olympia. Fairs and exhibitions are still held at Kensington Olympia, which is located on the line that is the shortest underground ride in London, which runs from Earl’s Court to Kensington Olympia.